[IP] Re: IP correction boluses

In a message dated 1/14/2002 7:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Problems started yesterday, however, when I miscalculated how many carbs
 in the burrito I had for lunch. By dinner I was 347. My endo doesn't want me
 to do correction boluses, so I bolused for dinner and ate, post-prandial was
 421 and then a half-hour later I was still climbing at 436. <snip> I spoke
to my endo and he wants me to
 correct by raising the basal for a few hours, NOT a bolus correction. He is
 against bolus corrections, thinks they lead to hypos. >>

Hi Deanna,

When you're on your own and a little more comfortable, and you have your
basals set OK, you will start experimenting with how to treat highs and how
to vary your mealtimes/amounts. You'll be fine!  Hang in there. In the
meantime, keep calling your endo when you're that high, and make him let you
correct somehow, so you don't feel crummy! My theory about highs is different
from his (though he has an MD and I don't :)   I check 1 or 1/2 hours after
any meal I have any doubt about, and deliver a small correction bolus
immediately if I'm high, keeping in mind how much of my last bolus is still
working, how full I still am, and my activity level...this generally doesn't
lead to lows if I'm conservative about the correction bolus amount. A raised
basal rate for correction would probably make me low later on, whereas a
bolus would act now when I need it, and be gone later when I didn't. But
you'll figure out your own way! Best of luck with your new pump and with your