[IP] Off and running, sort of

Hello all.
First, thanks again to all who encouraged me after my gynocologist
discouraged my running a marathon with the ADA's Team Diabetes. My endo has
given me the green light and, like me, his greatest concern was figuring out
my dosages during training.
I started the pump with insulin last Thursday evening. All has been going
pretty well. Looked like only minor changes would need to be made and my BGs
were even stable during my workouts. I've been running on the slightly high
side but under 200 as we started out with some conservative numbers to see
how things go.
Problems started yesterday, however, when I miscalculated how many carbs were
in the burrito I had for lunch. By dinner I was 347. My endo doesn't want me
to do correction boluses, so I bolused for dinner and ate, post-prandial was
421 and then a half-hour later I was still climbing at 436. I had already
checked the site and everything was running fine. An hour later I finally
started to come down and by morning was at 207. I thought I might level off
today, but BGs are climbing again as I've never corrected the highs and am
not starting off from a good place. I spoke to my endo and he wants me to
correct by raising the basal for a few hours, NOT a bolus correction. He is
against bolus corrections, thinks they lead to hypos. I am not pleased at
having highs for 24 hours and then having to wait six hours for my BG to come
down. This is interferring with training as I have a trace of ketones now.
My endo also wants me on fixed dosages and meals and this is driving me
crazy. Seems to defeat the purpose of all this. I knew I would have to be
patient in working out dosages, but this is not the kind of patience I
thought would be required.
Any thoughts from anyone?
dxed IDDM 9/92, pumped as of 1/10/02