Re: [IP] funds-diab research

Kathy Bruckmeyer <email @ redacted> wrote:

> ADA does try to get full support to govt in order to receive more funding
> for research.  Last year over 3 million signatures were collected and
> submitted to ADA who then took them to Washington DC together with a
> rally..this was to try to get the organization who distributes govt
> to give a larger percentage of funding for research for diabetes...

I just received my copy of The Diabetes Advocate.  The lead article says, in
part, the NIH " . . . diabetes funding will receive $770 million, still well
below the $1.3 billion that leading diabetes experts suggest is needed," and
CDC's Division of Diabetes Translation (DDT) budget is "still $42 million
short of the amount supported by the American Diabetes Association."

> Get on the bandwagon people..the first people you need to contact are your
> federal representatives..there are local chapters of ADA in your
> area...contact them and see how you can also make a difference.

You can find your Senators' addresses by clicking on http://www.senate.gov
and your Representative's address by clicking on
http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html.  Please *DON'T* assume that
someone else will do it.

Jim Handsfield