re: [IP] 3 year old daughter!

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis!

I can relate to all of those feelings. My son Ryan was diagnosed when he was
three. He is five now and has been pumping for about a year and a half.

My endo had us start pumping with diluted insulin to help avoid no-delivery
issues (since he started with a TDD of less than 10 units a day). I just
recently (since Saturday) started trying using U100 so I could try Novolog
on him (there is no diluent for Novolog yet) - it is too early to tell the

So my wisdom, for what it is worth, is start with U50 so you can control
them better. A .05 difference really is noticible when their doses are that
low. Also, we started with Rapids to avoid problems with bent canulas, and
then switched to Tenders. We periodically try the
sofsets/quicksets/ultraflexes (you should see my supply cabinet - I have
EVERYTHING!), but the Sils are definitely the most consistently-performing
set for us.  We put some Emla on under Tegadirm and wait 2 hours - it works

Also, Ryan often goes through an "anti dawn-phenomenon". He drops like a
rock between 5 and 7am. The problem is that if you lower his basal rates to
compensate, he will be extremely insulin resistant at breakfest. I've had to
make a lot of adjustments for breakfest - different things work at different
times, and it is probably all growth related.

I guess my point in all of this is that toddlers are quite a bit different
than adults. You can't always follow the same methods for adjusting their
doses as you would an adult. My endo claimed that even most non-diabetic
toddler can't pass a fasting basal test - their metabolism is too high. Make
sure you have an endo experienced with Toddlers.

Good luck!!!

Mom to Ryan (5 and pumping since 8/17/00) and Celia (7 and non-diabetic)