[IP] Re: Disconecting for lows

Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:22:49 -0500
From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Disconnecting for lows
I had a low in September and had tried to suspend the bolus on my Minimed
508.
Accidentally, I gave myself 2 additional units which did not help.>>>
As I previously said, I am still learning after 18.5 yrs of pumping. I heard
a CDE tell a newbie to reduce her basal for 1/2 hr. if BG is below 30.  Now,
excuuUUUuse me - do these *pros* know we do NOT have good brain function in
a low???  My Q is, suspending or disconnecting will affect the insulin LATER
so why not forget trying to do something *tricky* at a crucial time? The
insulin going in now will last 3-4 hours. Stopping it now will affect it in
3-4 hours. The low needs to be treated - fast, not delaying carb intake.
Besides, won't that insulin that is still going in need to be effective for
some of the carbs ingested for the low in perhaps 2-3 hours?
IMHO disconnecting or suspending is too much thought/energy which is
obviously lacking at a crucial time, to spent on the pump and its
function(s). *I* say, let the pump run and treat the low! YMMV What do our
pumping reps who have DM advise?  (~_^)
@
\(/ Jan (62 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C 3/99

The advise I was given is exactly what I use,  ---  Suspend Pump (in what
ever way your pump does this) then treat the low..  In reality of course
many situations change the events that follow a hypo, I love juice so I
usually treat a low this way if I can, other wise lollies are always handy,
occassionaly I have forgotten to suspend the pump.  This would  of course
make my hypo experience longer and would cause over treatment!!  (back to
the juggle of high then low then high:-( )  We might not always remember the
best way to deal with the event, but we have the option to learn the best
method to deal with it!

Anne.