RE: [IP] Driver's License Problems

On 13 Jan 2002 at 23:25, Kathy Bruckmeyer wrote:

> John,
> You are very mistaken when you say you can't get a CDL for interstate
> driving!
> This has been argued and won with the American Diabetes Assn. and the
> courts...
> You do need to be under very careful medical attention, need to keep very
> accurate logs and check your blood sugars very often.  You need to prove that
> you can be responsible towards your disease and that you will not have
> lows....
> I don't have the article anymore but you can probably get it through
> archives or something.
> I'm assuming you are on a pump and if so, you are checking b.g. often and
> keeping logs so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, Kathy, but according to the latest "Advocate" mailing from ADA:

Current Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations prohibit anyone who uses insulin from getting a commercial driver's license (CDL) to drive in interstate commerce.
Last year, at the urging of the American Diabetes Association, DOT concluded that it is both safe and practical to judge each person with diabetes individually on whether
or not he or she can be a safe commercial driver. Thus, DOT proposed a plan that would replace the blanket ban with a program for individual evaluation.

But there is a problem with the proposed plan.

DOT also stated that in order for a person to apply for a CDL, he or she must have been driving a commercial vehicle for the prior three years while using insulin. Which
means that, in order to get a CDL, a person must either:
1) Be lucky enough to get a job that allows him or her to drive a commercial vehicle intrastate while using insulin (such jobs are extremely rare), or
2) Admit to having broken the law and driven a commercial vehicle in interstate commerce while using insulin.

This "Three-Year Rule" will make any good changes in the policy useless to the vast majority of the people who are truly qualified to drive commercial vehicles.

To fight this "Catch 22" from DOT, do the following:

The DOT has re-opened their comment period on the proposed plan. This will give diabetes advocates the chance to encourage DOT to go through with its proposal to
evaluate each person with diabetes individually, but also to protest its proposed Three-Year Rule. Regardless of your current occupation, and even if you've never met a
truck driver before in your life, you can help us make a difference.

Please follow the easy instructions below on how to file an official comment with the US Department of Transportation. It will take 10 minutes of your time, but it would
mean the world to CDL-holders with diabetes, many of whom are valiantly working with us to overturn this ruling. The deadline for submitting comments is February 4, 2002.

How to submit your comments in 4 steps:

1. Go to http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a16366a49965a99369945a3

There is a quick registration process, and then you will complete an online form.

2. DOT requires you to complete the following information so that it knows what law you are referencing. Follow these instructions and it's a piece of cake.

Where it asks for Docket ID, Enter: FMCSA-2001-9800

Where it asks for Operating Administration, Enter this: FMCSA

Where it asks for Docket Type, Enter this: Regulatory

Where it asks for Docket Existence, Enter this: Does Exist

Where it asks for Title, Enter this: A title for your comments. (We suggest something like: "Revoke the Three-Year Rule against people who use insulin!")

Where it asks for Document Submission, you have two choices: Enter a comment or Document submission. If you select "Enter a Comment" you will be taken to a screen
where you can type in your comments. If you choose "Document Submission," you will be given the chance to upload a document from your computer.

Where it asks for Confidential, ignore it. According to DOT, they are not
accepting confidential submissions at this time. Your comments will be public in
the Federal Register.

You can also fax written comments to the Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation at (202) 493-2251. Make sure to note Docket Number FMCSA-
2001-9800. (Currently, the DOT does not accept delivered comments by the United States Postal Service and does not know when mail service will resume.)

3. What to say:
*You are a diabetes advocate because...(you have diabetes/your spouse has diabetes, etc.)
*You are in favor of individually assessing each driver with diabetes but are protesting the Three-Year Rule against people who use insulin because it prohibits qualified
drivers from obtaining a commercial driver's license and discriminates against people with diabetes who are otherwise healthy.
*If you are a CDL-holder (or would like to be), include information about how the current blanket ban affects you and how the Three-Year Rule would affect your ability to get
or keep a job.

4. Before you hit submit, make a copy of your comments and send them to us at email @ redacted We ask you to do this so that we can keep track of who is
submitting comments and what they are saying. Thanks for your cooperation.

Questions? Send them to us at email @ redacted

Thanks for your help!

Michael Mawby,
Vice President, Government Relations & Advocacy

Carlea Bauman
National Director, Grassroots Advocacy