[IP] Pumping - then & now

>>>Wish I had the pump years ago and may have avoided this major
complication. >>>

I've been thinking about the above snip for awhile and wondering when to say
what I want to say about it. This is the time. We often have people saying
they wish they had started pumping years ago and maybe they would be better
off. Please do not *grieve* over this since the past cannot be changed. I
DID start pumping 18.5 years ago - I now have kidneys functioning at 15% -
back then it was about 85%. I will probably find out when I start dialysis
on the 23rd. I had a fistula inserted 10/23/01.

I started pumping in the days of one basal rate on a checkbook-sized pump
and you set it for *your* amount and it stayed there for years and years.
The pumps delivered in whole units only - no 0.1 unit deliveries. We had no
idea monthly hormone cycles did anything to BGs, we did not know certain
foods affected BGs (pizza, rice, spaghetti, etc.). We were instructed to do
4 BGs a day, then when *settled in* to reduce the amount and skip around. We
stayed on the exchange system and ate meals at the appointed times, with
snacks. We used Regular or Velosulin (no BR then) in the pump and had to
wait 20 min. after bolusing to eat. There was no suggestion - ever - of
skipping a meal. We were not taught carb-insulin ratio, carb counting, basal
fasting, and lots of etc.

There were no Sof-Sets, Silhouettes, Quik-Sets, inserters, and some of us
couldn't even afford home BG meters - wayyy too expensive to use a whole
strip as well, therefore, we cut them in 1/3s to stretch a $ and compared
the results to a color chart on the strip vial.

In the last 2.5 years since I've been on the 'net, I've learned at least 17
things about pumping that I was never taught the first 16 years. We hear
about DMers still taking pee tests - which are very archaic for glucose, and
*stuck* in that mode. Starting to pump years ago would be no guarantee today
that anyone would be better off. Some on this list started years ago and
gave it up for several years. I once had an A1c of 15.6 while pumping and
endo did nothing to *help* me adjust. That pump had a problem and when I was
asked if I was having troubles (DUH!!!!) I said *no*. I didn't think I was -
it's that guilt thing of whatever you do with DM it's all your fault. I'm
learning there are tools and others to help to not be in that condition.

Thanks to the 'net, my A1c's over the last two years have run from 5.4-6.5.
Best ever! Before that I was doing good with 8.2.

What am I trying to say through all of this? Be glad you have the
opportunity to start pumping NOW -- and move forward. You may *not* have
been better off had you started pumping back then. I never was on MDI
(Multiple Daily Injections) - I was on SDI (Single Daily Injection) for 31
years, then DDI (dual daily Injections) the next two before I started
pumping. Those of you who are just beginning to pump are probably better off
than I was since you have been practicing MDI. Your A1c's can be much better
with the tools and knowledge available today.

Welcome to the present-day gold-standard of DM care. (~_^)

If wishes were horses, beggars might ride