Re: [IP] glucagon shots

In a message dated 1/11/2002 7:54:34 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Lily's endo assure us the the fastest way to get glucose into the
>  system in quantity is by mouth. I've used glucose gel a couple of
>  times when Lily has  been very low and out of it. Rubbing it on the
>  gums works for us. You would not want to put anything in a persons
>  mouth that did not have a swallow reflex, the risk of aspiration
>  would preclude it.

We tried the gel out on a mild lows a couple of times (in 15 months sin dx
that's all we've dealt with, thank God) --  The gel didn't seem to to absorb
nearly as fast as glucose tabs or even clear fruit juice (our usual options
for treating lows).  For Katie, 15-17 grams of carbs from glucose tabs or
juice bring her up 40-50 points within 10 minutes, whereas the same amount
carbs in the gel took more than 20 minutes to do the same.  So for us, we'll
stick to juice or glucose tabs for mild to moderate lows, save the gels for a
low where she's spacey, but can still swallow -- and reserve the glucagon for
any severe lows (unconscious or seizures).

Our CDE has also suggested that mini-doses of glucagon (about 10-12 units in
Katie's case) can be used on sick days when we need to give her insulin to
resolve ketones but when can keep necessary carbs down -- we haven't had to
try this yet, but several parents have reported using it with good result
(quickly resolving ketones and avoiding trips to the ER).  She also said you
could use up to 3 or 4 mini-dose every 2-4 hours, and that you need to toss
out the glucagon within 24 hours at the most . . .

Pumpmama to Katie