[IP] glucagon shots

Hi gang.  I've got a question.........Is it a big deal to use glucagon?
What I mean is, is it harmful to the system at all?  I've used it on my son
4 times over the last 3 years.  The last time he was 27 and it was clear
there was not much time until he would be unable to swallow anything, so I
went straight for the gluc. shot.  My friend told me that the shot was a
hormone and acted like it was harmful if it was used too much.  Insulin is a
hormone, isn't it?  So is there any merit to this at all?
Thanks for any help.