[IP] mixing insulins

From: mrsfish.7 <email @ redacted>
To: <HELP@insulin-pumpers.org>; insulin-pumpers-digest
<email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 11:26 AM
Subject: [IP] Re: [IPn] Notice for users of H/V mix

> Dear Insulin Pumpers,
> I am wondering about mixing R with H for my 9 year old son's pump.
> I have read some about this on IP.
> To do this do you draw out say 40 units of H and 10 units of R and put
> both in a clean, empty vial, mix, and then load into reservoir?
> Do you know if the bolus or basal usually need to be changed with the
> of R?
> Is Velosulin any better than R for this?  Do you have to have a
> for Velosulin?  Are most doctors willing to let pumpers try this?
> My son's sights seem to go bad in 2 1/2 days.  Sometimes this is very
> inconvenient as it means a change during the night.  His A1c is not very
> --  8.6  last time.  I have gotten a gram scale and am counting carbs
> diligently.  Having the sight go bad makes seeing patterns and making
> adjustments that much more difficult.  I am rather discouraged about
> his numbers better.  I know he is doing better on the pump than on shots
but I
> would like to see better control.  Thanks for any help.
> By the way -- My kids endo. wants my 3 1/2 year old daughter to get a pump
> this spring.  She is on Lantus and H.  Actually, her #'s have been better
> more consistent than Morgan's.  Her A1c was 8.9 which was a little higher
> his last time but I have been working on her control and will be surprised
> her A1c isn't better than his this time.  I am not knocking the pump -- it
> best for Morgan, but quite frankly, if we can't get better readings for
> and work out the site problems, I would rather leave Madison on shots.
She is
> good about taking the shots.  She has a very small appetite so sometimes
> doesn't have to have a shot for meals if she eats mostly protein,
tc.  --the
> Lantus and her activity take care of the "bolus".  I really don't want to
> struggling with two children and unpredictable sites.  At least when I
> her a shot I know she has gotten the insulin.
> If possible, please send your replies directly to me at:
> email @ redacted  Thanks!!
> Sybil Fisher ,  Mom to Morgan, 9, x's 6-7-99 and Madison, 3, x's 1-20-00
> ----------------------------------------------------------Addressing your
first question. I mix the insulin in a reservoir. Draw up the Lispro and add
the buffered regular to it. I put 4 ml of air in the reservoir, inject 3 ml
into the lispro and then change to the velosulin. push in the remaining 1ml of
air and let the velosulin drip into the lispro. dont get hte insulins mixed in
the vials. your doc will probably never have heard of this. you might ask
about the Novolog rather than the mixture. I used a different ratio, your doc
may advise differently too. Your daughter is best served by pumping. she
should be on the pump. Lantus and regular is not a solution to good control in
a youngster, especially a girl.  and when she gets older and needs more
insulin she will already be experienced in the pump.