[IP] Re: Stomach Bug

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:53:39 -0500
From: "Sara Molyneaux" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Re: Stomach Bug

I was hospitalized once after vomiting for about 20 hours almost
non-stop.  This was when I was on MDI.  Stupid me was afraid to take my
injections because I thought if I went low I wouldn't be able to ingest
anything to bring it back up.  When I finally admitted to myself I needed
help, I dragged my roommate out of bed and we took a cab to the
hospital.  My blood sugar was almost 30mmol and I was extremely
dehydrated.  I was in the hospital for a week and sick for two more weeks
after that.  It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had.
Luckily, I haven't been sick since then but one of the nurses suggested
drinking Gatorade or a similar sports drink.  These drinks replace the
electrolytes that you lose when you're dehydrated.  I guess it would also
be good for children whose blood sugars go low when sick (if they can
keep it down).  It's also easy to keep on hand if you buy the powdered
Sara</DIV! >

touch of DKA Sara?

My endo always prescibes Gatoraide for me on the occasion that I call her for
a sick day experience. I don't like the taste, 30 mmol/L no wonder you were
sick! spot