[IP] caninie diabeatres

"Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:35:19 -0800
From: "KATHRYN A FAGAN" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Weird Question - A Little Off-Topic

Thought I'd come to the experts on this one!

There have been several posts in the past from folks here about their 'betic
pets, mostly cats in my observation.  I'm curious, anyone have a dog with D?

**Friend did, we have a cat who does.

What symptoms did you observe with your animal when he/she became diabetic?

**Same s/s as for us humans.

 I know you can give them injections, but what type of insulin do you use?

** Humulin N, U often used.

Why my questions?  My dog's displaying some symptoms that are reminiscent of
my own bouts with DKA, and I'm wondering if she's become afflicted with this
ugly disease too!  She's 11 years old and a bit on the heavy side.  She's
her feed, but drinking water like there's no tomorrow (rather unusual
Diabetic dogs are smaller versions of diabetic humans. Does the dog exhibit
weight loss? irritability?, sleeping all day? these are dog symptoms of
diabetes, if the dog is overweight it may clear up with insulin, NPH insulin,
keep testing the urine. remove all chow but keep water freely available. Feed
Small meals frequently. Check with a vet who has a small animal practice and
treats diabetic pets.
spot who has a lab full of diabetic animals.