[IP] Re:Diabetic pets

"Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:35:19 -0800
From: "KATHRYN A FAGAN" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Weird Question - A Little Off-Topic

Thought I'd come to the experts on this one!

There have been several posts in the past from folks here about their 'betic
pets, mostly cats in my observation.  I'm curious, anyone have a dog with D?

**Friend did, we have a cat who does.

What symptoms did you observe with your animal when he/she became diabetic?

**Same s/s as for us humans.

 I know you can give them injections, but what type of insulin do you use?

** Humulin N, U often used.

Why my questions?  My dog's displaying some symptoms that are reminiscent of
my own bouts with DKA, and I'm wondering if she's become afflicted with this
ugly disease too!  She's 11 years old and a bit on the heavy side.  She's
her feed, but drinking water like there's no tomorrow (rather unusual
considering the cold, wet weather we've been having).

**Use a ketodiastix-get a urine sample and test for sugar/ketones in the
urine.  Remember, excessive water intake could indicate kidney disease.

Just curious to know what some of you pros out there can tell me.  TIA!

Kathy Fagan

Hope this helps,
Marj; Mike; and "Ace, the PP" (portable pancreas)