[IP] starving

From: "Moira C. McCarthy" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Stomach bugs

Hello all,

Just back from a two-night stay at the hospital with Lauren. As is always
the case with her, the sickness was stomach bug -- a bad one (throwing up
eight times in two hours . . . ) anyway, I'm wondering: is she the *only*
person with diabetes who has terrible trouble when she gets stomach flu? She
gets really low with really large ketones, cannot hold a sip of anything
down, and ends up needing IV fluids. This time (she's had it happen three
times in four and a half years of dx) an endo at the hospital infered that I
screw up -- that I should be able to keep her hydrated. She said I should
have gone UP on the insulin at home (Lauren was 55 and dropping, still
throwing up, not holding anything down . . . ) and not down (I cut down her
basal figuring more insulin was bad, even though I knew she needed the
ketones cleared.) To me, when she gets like that, the only answer is IV
glucose and more insulin . . . . anyone have this problem or have an amazing
solution for it? Thanks.

Mom of Lauren,
10-yr-old pumper
Not real articulate, that endo. she should have explained to you that illness
increases insulin resistance to a large extent. The answer is more fluids and
since Lauren isn't keeping food down, she is getting ketotic from starvation.
You can always give carbs if she goes low. Id have given her some ice  cold
ginger ale, perhaps flat. also apple juice is a nice drink and full of carbs.
non diet 7-up works well too. that is why dka is so difficult to treat