[IP] marathons

Please, yes get another opinion on the possibility of doing a marathon.  I
did my first marathon 18 months after diagnosis, and everything went fine,
and I know of at four other type 1 individuals who have completed at least
one marathon--only one of whom is a "serious" athlete.  It's all in working
your way up gradually, remembering that finishing is much more important
than your time, and that 90% of the effort is mental, not physical. Go for
it--for some help, get the book "The Diabetic Athlete", which has a very
good explanation of how different types of exercise (anaerobic v aerobic,
moderate v intense, etc) differentially affect your need for insulin. And go
to the ADAA (American Diabetic Athletes Association) website for more good