Re: [IP] Stomach bugs

At 08:14 PM 1/8/02 -0600, you wrote:
 >Hello all,
 >Just back from a two-night stay at the hospital with Lauren. As is always
 >the case with her, the sickness was stomach bug -- a bad one (throwing up
 >eight times in two hours . . . ) anyway, I'm wondering: is she the *only*
 >person with diabetes who has terrible trouble when she gets stomach flu? She
 >gets really low with really large ketones, cannot hold a sip of anything
 >down, and ends up needing IV fluids.

It makes perfect sense to me.  She was dehydrated and starved for energy
because in addition to not being able to keep anything down her body was
working in overdrive to fight off the flu.  The result is low blood sugar
and ketones.  (You can get ketones with low blood sugar if your body is in
a starvation state--much more likely in children than in adults.)

My mom used to give me flat coke when I had the flu.  Something about
it--maybe phosphate?--settles the stomach, and the sugar keeps the bg
up.  It has to be flat, though, or it's going to come right back up.  You
can flatten it by heating it up in a saucepan to a simmer.  Let it come to
room temperature before you drink it.

Hope this helps,