RE: [IP] Stomach bugs

I am with you!  In some situations, there is no other answer but IV
insulin.
I have been in DKA once (after a stomach bug---these are a lot worse for
me than colds and bronchitis type things).  I was injecting 15 units of
reg at a time and nothing was happening.  I was in Kussmaul
respirations.  I didn't know the symptoms of DKA...I was blissfully
ignorant and assumed this would never happen to me.  I was in lactic
acidosis as well....the dr. said that if my mom had not gotten me to the
ER, I would have been dead in an hour.  I spent 3 days in ICU(an $8000
vacation) and felt bad for days after discharge.
The dr. told me that once you get so far into acidosis that nothing but
IV insulin will work.  Found out later how close I was to death...but bg
was only 550.  I have had worse bg and not been in acidosis. I don't get
that?  I marched into my endo's office at 676 and didn't know it. (I was
changing insulins and was way out of whack.)  I am glad she is better.
I know you are glad to be home.