[IP] Re: Type 1 Genetics

Thanks Natalie, for this interesting info.
I agree with you.  When Claire was dx at age 2, I was asked by nurses and
doctors in the hospital at least 25 times, who in our family had DM.  And I
replied no one, I've never even known anyone with DM.  They were all
extremely puzzled, as the "known wisdom" of all health care professionals
that I have dealt with in Canada is that it is a heriditary disease.
However, I was wrong about the "no one in the family" bit.  We later found
out that Claire had a great-aunt on my husband's side, in Northern Ireland,
who died of DM at an early age, just around the time of insulin's discovery
(my hubbie's dad was the youngest of 10 and my hubbie the youngest of five,
which accounts for such a long time span for only two generations).  When we
moved to Northern Ireland in 1998 we were asked to participate in a genetics
research experiment looking at the genes of type 1 children and their
immediate families.  I don't know if this study is still ongoing (probably
is) or what the results have shown so far.
     I have never been able to come up with an environmental trigger  link
for Claire, no illness near to onset.  But I think I have read that illness
in the newborn stage has statistical significance, and Claire was very, very
sick at 6 weeks of age (unknown cause).
Barbara, Mum of Claire, 7