[IP] families and heredity

I know this is not a random sampling at all, but I'm one of those folks with
a remarkable number of Type 1 diabetics in one family.  I am one of three
diabetic siblings out of 6.  The diabetics were #2, #4, and #5 in birth

My endo told me that some kidney complications are now thought to have a
genetic marker associated with them, and that if you have not had kidney
problems after a certain number of years with diabetes, your chances are
extremely low of ever developing it.  My brother nearly died of kidney
failure and then had a kidney transplant after about 20 years with diabetes.
  I've been very fortunate that after 30 years with diabetes, I have no sign
of kidney complications, so I'm hoping I don't have the tendency.  My sister
is doing okay, too, after about 25 years.

Arlie Sims