[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #23

 Hi Terry,
Your job sounds very similar to mine.  I also work in a group home with
developmentally challenged adults.  Fortunately, I have never experienced
a serious low blood sugar at work but I have often worried about it
because there are many times when I am the only staff.  You're lucky your
clients are able to call 911 for you.  I don't think the people I work
with could do that.  First of all,  I would suggest testing as often as
possible while at work.  Make it a point to take a 5-minute break for
yourself at least every two hours.  Secondly, maybe you should think
about raising your target blood sugar levels while you're working so that
you're less prone to lows.  Third, if your supervisor is concerned, keep
detailed records of your blood sugars while at work and use this as proof
that you are capable of doing your job despite your diabetes.  I hope
this helps.&nb! sp; I do know that all of the staff I work with know I
have diabetes and are very accomodating when I need to test my blood.
Some of the clients know as well and understand that when I am testing
this is 'my time' and they leave me alone.

>Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:32:05 EST >From: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] Re: > >I am new to a mini-med pump and have a question for
you experienced pumpers. >I have been insulin dependent for 21 years. I
have always liked tight >control. I have had many insulin reactions in my
life and been in the ER an >awful lot. I work for a New York State
Psychiatric hospital in Syracuse, NY. > I have had two insulin reactions
in the past two years while at work in a >group home where I care for
mentally handicapped adults. I was the only >staff member on duty at the
time and the pts. called 911 for me. My employer >is getting worried that
I may not be able to work alone. What would happen >if they told me they
didn't think I could perform my duties and wanted to let >me go? My work
has always gotten high marks but diabetes problems have >gotten me where
I am today. I work for the state like I said and they have >been nice so
far but this has started to bug me. I am trying to get things >going with
the pump and meet with my dr. and reps from mini-med. I know that >only I
can make it work but it is hard at times as you all know. Anyway, has