RE: [IP] re: screening in FLA and breastfeeding

Jennifer Harkleroad [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> This is the one common factor that has been
> isolated.

That's a theory that has some promise.  But the association is still very
weak, and no mechanism has been isolated.  It's just as likely that cow's
milk is a mirror to something else.

It's also worth repeating here that correlation is *NOT* causation.  To say
there's a weak association is not meant to imply that feeding cow's milk has
anything to do with the *cause*.

> The idea
> is that if the cow'milk/formula triggered a mother, then possibly the
> baby has the same genetic predisposition to developing D.

Possibly but not necessarily.  But this, too, assumes that such a genetic
predisposition exists.  There is no evidence to support this theory, now
matter how logical it may seem.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR