[IP] Diabetic pets was Weird Question - A Little Off-Topic

Go to the following website

You will get much info on pets with diabetes.
Whatever is wrong with your dog I wish him prompt recovery.  :-) After all
he is your "baby"!

My cat became diabetic just as I was gaining some freedom with my own
diabetes after starting on the pump.  I knew by her sweetish smelling litter
box that diabetes might be the problem.  When I couldn't keep up with the
litter box changes and I saw her go from extreme hunger and weight loss to
lethargy and difficulty in walking, I broke down and told my husband I
didn't have the courage to take her to the vet.  I knew she was diabetic and
I didn't feel I could handle it!

Well we did take her and her bg was 550.  I cried and cried.  The vet hugged
me  and my husband promised  that he would help me take care of Yoyo.  I
thought of all the parents of diabetic children and how devoted they were to
them.  Maybe with help we could deal with another diabetic in the family.

Yoyo came home after three days of testing.  She did not respond to Humulin
L so we put her on 2 injections of PZI beef insulin and she improved. A few
months later the neuropathy in her legs improved so much she could jump
again.   When I broke my leg last March and was laid up for a while , she
was able to jump on my bed and keep me company!!!

Having a diabetic pet has taught me to be kinder to myself. Also my husband
has kept his promise to help with her care and consequently is much more
understanding of my own diabetes.  Between the pump for me and the shots for
Yoyo,  he has learned more about diabetes in the last three years than in
the previous 37 years of our marriage. In a wierd sort of way, I am grateful
for all this.

 I get few kudos from my own doctor  on how hard I work  at  pumping , but
my cat's vet did congratulate me last week on how well Yoyo is doing because
of my knowledge of diabetes.  Somehow I felt validated for my own hard

Denise Guerin
Type 1 47 years
Minimed 507  3+ years

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:35:19 -0800
From: "KATHRYN A FAGAN" <Subject: [IP] Weird Question - A Little Off-Topic

Thought I'd come to the experts on this one!

There have been several posts in the past from folks here about their 'betic
pets, mostly cats in my observation.  I'm curious, anyone have a dog with D?
What symptoms did you observe with your animal when he/she became diabetic?
know you can give them injections, but what type of insulin do you use?

Why my questions?  My dog's displaying some symptoms that are reminiscent of
my own bouts with DKA, and I'm wondering if she's become afflicted with this
ugly disease too!  She's 11 years old and a bit on the heavy side.  She's
her feed, but drinking water like there's no tomorrow (rather unusual
considering the cold, wet weather we've been having).

Just curious to know what some of you pros out there can tell me.  TIA!

Kathy Fagan
Dx 10/68, pumping 12/17/82