RE: [IP] Weird Question - A Little Off-Topic

Hi Kathy,

Isn't it kinda sad that we're so quick to be a bit paranoid about the
possibility of our pets developing D?  (I'm not teasing you at ALL - I just
went through the same thing! ;o)  I have a male Rottie mix and a female Pit
Bull mix and they are my kids.  My female recently began panting a lot and
exhibiting dry mouth - you could hear the "stickiness" when she licked her
lips - which she was doing a lot more.  She also had a few personality
changes.

I ended up taking her to the vet to get a full check up and before the visit
I was aware that one symptom of D in dogs is excessive hunger, but that was
about it.  So I asked my vet to check for diabetes and she told me the
following:

Females develop diabetes more often than males (almost 2 to 1)
Look for excessive thirst leading to excessive urination
Look for VERY excessive hunger with weight loss
Look for cataracts (most common first symptom)

My dog ended up not having diabetes, just a bit of insecurity about moving
to a new home, believe it or not...

The first thing is if your dog is indeed overweight, put her on a diet.
While type 1 is more common in dogs, type 2 is not unheard of and is most
commonly linked with obesity.  Second, get an appointment with the vet.  You
might call first and see if they want you to bring a sample in.

And the last thing is that there are a ton of sites out there for support if
your dog does have diabetes.  There have been many advances in canine
diabetes and there are a lot of people out there to help you.

Kelsey
email @ redacted