[IP] D prevention

So far, there is no statistical association that has been detected.
That
doesn't mean it isn't there.  Some of the work being done is basic
research - to find out *if* there is a genetic component.

The immune system is incredibly complex, and no one really knows why or
how
it gets fooled in type 1 DM to cause the immune system to attack beta
cells.
In your case, all we can say it that it *appears* to be a coincidence
that
both your kids have developed DM.

That's why we need a lot more research -- somewhere there are some
answers
about genetic, environmental, viral, and other causes of type 1 DM.  We
haven't found them yet, at least in any way that is statistically
verifiable
and valid.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted

which is why, in my opinion, we need to be testing & testing, newborns,
even, to see if there is some component that is being missed, to see who
may be at risk... and so much more. i am no doctor, fir sure, but i cant
see any testing being a waste of time, money or effort. i havent yet
read about what they are planning to do with the testing of newborns in
florida... but any information gathered will surely be used for good...
--
Sharon, mom to Gabrielle 13 dx 5/98
and Steven 7 dx 7/00, pumping!!!