Re: [IP] Re: D prevention

 Dierdre <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I have to disagree with the "random occurence".  If type 1 diabetes occurs
> 1 in 300 people, someone has a .33 of a percent chance of having type 1.
> However, if someone has a sibling with type 1, their odds of having it
> 15 fold to 5%.  If it was completely random, the odds of having 3 siblings
> with type 1 diabetes would be 1 in 27 million.  Based on the increased
> for siblings, the odds of having 3 siblings with type 1 in a three child
> family would be 1 in 120,000.

That's correct.  But statistically it is still a random event with an
apparent probability.  An event being unlikely does not prove the converse.
No research has demonstrated anything other than a random events.

But let me repeat -- that only means that we haven't *found* the correct
association(s) yet.  All the speculation about cows milk, viruses, heredity,
etc., etc., are just that: speculation.  There is no scientific evidence
linking any of those to the incidence of type 1 DM.

Jim Handsfield