[IP] Re: leaving children alone

     I don't think there is an easy answer for us on this question.  The way
I feel, I hate to ever be away from Claire!!!  But the cell (mobile) phone is
really a big help.  With it you can approach the matter in about the same way
as you would with a non DM kid.  I have left Claire in the care of her older
brother while I have gone out on quick errands and she refuses to come.  She
is clear on the instructions--take some fast sugar if she feels low, she
doesn't have to test first if she doesn't feel capable.  I stress this to her
brother--the important thing is to get the sugar in.  Then make the phone
call to me.
     In her first year of dx, at age 3, I did a lot of reading and read
somewhere that mums always telephone their adult DM "kids" in the mornings
after they have moved out.  The next year while on a bus tour in Europe (of
course Claire came with me), we met a lovely young lady, about age 25-27,
with DM who spoke about how she soon wanted to start a family (so I presumed
she lived with her male travelling companion).  I asked her if her Mum phoned
her every morning, and she looked at me shocked and said "How did you know
     Do what you feel comfortable with at the time.  I don't think there are
any "right" answers here, and situations are constantly changing.  Best of
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7