[IP] Re: leaving children alone

Kathy,
     I don't think there is an easy answer for us on this question.  The way
I feel, I hate to ever be away from Claire!!!  But the cell (mobile) phone is
really a big help.  With it you can approach the matter in about the same way
as you would with a non DM kid.  I have left Claire in the care of her older
brother while I have gone out on quick errands and she refuses to come.  She
is clear on the instructions--take some fast sugar if she feels low, she
doesn't have to test first if she doesn't feel capable.  I stress this to her
brother--the important thing is to get the sugar in.  Then make the phone
call to me.
     In her first year of dx, at age 3, I did a lot of reading and read
somewhere that mums always telephone their adult DM "kids" in the mornings
after they have moved out.  The next year while on a bus tour in Europe (of
course Claire came with me), we met a lovely young lady, about age 25-27,
with DM who spoke about how she soon wanted to start a family (so I presumed
she lived with her male travelling companion).  I asked her if her Mum phoned
her every morning, and she looked at me shocked and said "How did you know
that?".
     Do what you feel comfortable with at the time.  I don't think there are
any "right" answers here, and situations are constantly changing.  Best of
luck,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7