[IP] marathon discouraged by dr. and other depression inducers

Hi all,
I also began training this week for Team Diabetes to run in the Kona marathon
and was feeling great about it. I was so motivated.
But then this morning I had my annual gyno exam and told my doctor about my
marathon plans. She was very discouraging. She advised against it based on
the stress it would put on my body and particularly my kidneys. I had
evidence of mild kidney disease in lab results last year. My a1c was only
7.6. Now it's down to 6.2 and the kidney disease has reversed. But based on
this history and the "damage to my kidneys," she doesn't think a marathon is
a good idea. She said she would support my running a half marathon, but I'm
really disappointed and sad. I'm so tired of not being able to attain goals.
I was really looking forward to being a success for a change. I've had some
real career disappointments and stresses that led to marginal bg control last
year that I've been able to turn around. I quit my job because it was
affecting my health and I wasn't achieving my goals fast enough to get out of
the situation. The marathon, I thought, was something I could do without
depending on other people/things coming through. It would restore my
self-confidence, I thought.
Now I just feel sad and horrible. I never thought there would be an issue
with me running the marathon. There are other diabetics on the team, some
with the disease much longer than me. I am going to discuss it with my endo
and see what he says. But now I feel this tremendous pressure. I don't want
to jeopardize my health, but I want to do this.
I'm also getting a lot of pressure from endo and gyno about having babies. I
am 30 and have had dibetes 9 years. My husband and I want to start trying to
have a family in about a year or two. Why not now? Because I'm overwhelmed
with life transitions right now, i.e. going on the pump and finding a job
again. We also live in a one-bedroom apartment and I don't want to share it
with a husband, dog and baby. We need to move/buy a house. I can't do all of
this at once.
Tomorrow I'm due to start pumping and have been feeling pretty good about it
until now. All of this other stuff has just made it seem more daunting.
OK, this has gotten long enough. Any advice out there?
dxed IDDM 9/92, getting pumped 1/8/02!