[IP] Teenagers and Diabetes

I was diagnosed at the age of 13 and I am thankful that my mom is also a T1
DMER.  If it hadn't been for her having the disease also, I think my life
would have changed and done a complete 360.  I was still allowed to do all
the things I had done before being diagnosed.  I know my parents still wanted
me to feel like a "regular teenager."

I spent the night at friend's homes, I went to parties, I dated, and I went
to camp and all the other fun stuff a kid is supposed to do.  Everyone was
aware that I was a little "different" but no one said anything about it and
just let me do my thing when I needed to do it.

I was NOT allowed to come home from the hospital until I was testing my own
BG's and giving my own shots.  I think that was one of the best things that
ever happened to me, because starting right out from day 1 I was responsible
for my own care.  Mom was there to help if I needed it, but other than that -
I was responsible for testing and giving my insulin injections.  She would
help with the Regular amount I was to give (her being familiar with the after
affects of dropping) but other than that it sat all upon my shoulders.

Let your kids be kids and let them figure some of the stuff out for
themselves, otherwise later in life they will have NO idea what to do and we
all leave the nest sooner or later.

Good luck to all you parents!!

17 years T1
Pumping since 4/1/01