Re: Re: [IP] Re: DM testing in Florida

"Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:24:38 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: DM testing in Florida
....I truly believe that almost all parents with one child with diabetes, is
already highly anxious about other siblings being diagnosed.  I doubt any
study would show me symptoms before I would recognize them myself."

Fodder for thought:

The idea behind the testing is to identify babies who could potentially
develop diabetes, not wait until one sibling is already diagnosed.  Not all
parents would recognize S/S of diabetes until acute (it would be marvelous
if there were never another child who had to be near or in DKA for diagnosis
to be made).
If parents have the knowledge that a child is more likely to develop
diabetes, are given info on S/S, then maybe fewer children will end up in
crises situations because of the onset of diabetes, and better intervention
could be with diet, exercise, monitoring which could help delay the onset of
diabetes in these high risk children.
Also, if testing provides a more acute idea as to number of babies who could
develop diabetes, then that can become another argument for more research
into preventing diabetes.   Too many children today have and are being
diagnosed with diabetes, and anything that can help in any way is important.
Marj; Mike; and "Ace, the PP" (portable pancreas)