Re: Subject: RE: [IP] DM testing in Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>

>I breastfed my son for 18 months.  He was diagnosed with type 1 when he was
>15 months old, a still nursing on demand toddler.  I also breastfed my
>daughter until she was 3 years old.  At age 8 she tested ICA+ (shortly
>given the Hep B series).  I fully believe in breastfeeding and trying to
>prevent diabetes - but it didn't work for us.  I myself do not have type 1.

One problem with statistics is that they don't apply to the individual, and
ALL of us are individuals!!!!

Statistics can only tell you whether there is an association between 2
factors in a large group -- and even then they can't completely rule out the
possibility of coincidence!

I see all this fervor and grasping at straws trying to prevent Type 1 as a
reflection of guilt -- that parents think they did something wrong because
their child developed diabetes.
It's so hard to convince them there was nothing they could have done -- it
was the bad luck of the genetic and environmental draw.

I know from personal experience that it's hard to avoid or remove the guilt
feelings, so I'll reiterate again and again -- it's NOT your fault that your
child got diabetes, and there is nothing you can do at this point to prevent
it if your other children have the destiny to get it. We all have to live
with the genes that we drew when we were conceived, and that's that.

My grandmother had diabetes; 3 of her 5 children did, but not my mother. So
why, among 10 cousins, am *I* the only one who has it??? I dunno -- but
that's the way it is!

Keep on pumping and forget the guilt!

Natalie ._c-