Re: [IP] D prevention, testing in florida

Sharon Santana <email @ redacted> wrote:

> if they cant cure my
> kids, at least (hopefully) they can prevent my granchildren from
> developing this horror.

Prevention is *always* better than treatment.  Let me repeat that:
prevention is *always* better than treatment.

But until we know a lot more about autoimmune response, specifically with
respect to DM type 1, we're going to have to settle for better and better
treatment.  CSII is the current state of the art.

We have some pretty good indicators associated with type 2 DM, but
prevention there will likely involve genetic testing, along with all the
ethical issues.  Aside from family associations (*NOT* present in type 1!),
lack of exercise, poor diet, and obesity are three things that parents can
deal with to help prevent type 2 dm from finding their kids.

Jim Handsfield