Re: [IP] prevention of type 1 - long

This is a recent patent application from Dr. Clare-Salzar re prostaglandin
research to prevent diabetes -  <A HREF="http://www.islet.org/forum022/messages/20118.htm">Michael Clare-Salzar patent application</A>

Another study:
Litherland SA, Fuller K, She J-X, Hutson AD, Li Y, Grebe KM, Whittaker DS,
Bahjat K, Wasserfall C, Cook R, Dennis MA, Crockett S, Sleasman J, Cotcher J,
Muir A, Silverstein J, Atkinson M, Schatz D, Clare-Salzler MJ:  Monocyte
prostaglandin synthase 2 aberrantly expressed in infants with HLA Iddm risk
alleles and progression to type 1 diabetes. J Clin Invest, 2000 (submitted)

The Diapep277 protein results were just reviewed in Lancet (I believe).  They
said that the results were better with adults with newly onset diabetes in
protecting remaining beta cells than in children.  I wonder if those adults
had LADA rather than typical type 1.  I've asked the researchers directly but
haven't gotten their response.  Unusual since they usually respond when you
praise their results. The results were released from a study in Jerusalem.  I
have chatted with at least one parent who had her child in the same study at
Schneider Hospital in Tel Aviv, she also works there, and she said the
results were vastly different in children than what was released in the study
at 10 months out in Jerusalem.

Another study for maintaining beta cells in newly diagnosed is being done by
Kevan Herold at Naomi Berrie in NYC.

I believe the Nicotinamide studies were started by Dr. Bob Elliott in New
Zealand  and that doctor has recommended one particular source of
Nicotinamide to be used in the U.S. Do your research before trying this. I
thought long and hard about using this in my daughter, but ultimately worried
about the transient liver  effects .<A HREF="http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/DivMed/endit.html">University of Bristol - Division of
Medicine</A> .  (Dr. Elliott, IMHO , is brilliant and lightyears ahead of much
research with xenotransplantation of porcine islets.)

Dr. Brod is studying ingesting interferon alpha to prevent destruction of
beta cells.  Not sure how that's progressing, anyone know?

I also recommend this article on the Psychological Aspects of Prevention
Trials http://www.ispad.org/pdf/anmed99.pdf

Very sincerely yours,
Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children who have diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html">http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html  (KidsRPumping)</A>
Please support funding a cure for diabetes: Diabetes Research Institute in
Miami, Florida:  <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org">http://www.drinet.org</A>