Diabetes in the family (was)Re: [IP] An interesting piece:

Not only is there a three-fold greater likelihood of a father with diabetes
passing it on to a child than a mother with diabetes ( albeit still a VERY
VERY small percentage), but my non-scientific "sampling" of all the many
families I know are disproportionately skewed towards DAUGHTERS of fathers
with diabetes, more so than mothers with sons, who develop diabetes....Of
course, just as with everything else diabetes-related, YMMV ( your mileage
may vary): I also know dads with sons, dads with daughters & moms with
daughters who all have diabetes, but if I think of ALL the families in which
a parent & child were diagnosed, there is a definite pattern. I read
something scientific that actually explained WHY, but darned if I can
remember why!! LOL...any researchers out there who care to elucidate???
Renee (pump mom to 19 yr old Melissa - pumping almost 6 yrs)