Re: [IP] Getting 12 y.o. to consider pumping

Rachel wanted a pump before she turned 12, but we decided to wait until she
was 12. She was very nervous with the first insertion ... in fact, they
wanted her to do it herself. We (DH, me, Disetronic rep, MD and nurse) all
stood around cheering her on. It brought tears to my eyes (still does)
watching her try to do it for the first time. She was very scared ... this is
the same kid that ran out of the pediatricians office when she was a toddler
to avoid a needle. We then used Emla for the first year of pumping. We slowly
switched to ice. Now, at 14, she uses ice or nothing at all.

Start with the Emla cream.

The new found freedom she gets is so worth it.

Mom to Rachel, 14 (T1 1996, pumping 1999),
Meghan 16 and Ashley 17