[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #14

In a message dated 1/6/2002 9:18:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 04:34:09 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Re: Advil - NOT
> > Are you kidding us Eddie or What???? Advil is ibuprofen. Read the labels.
> > You
> > shouldnt take Naprosyn, Advil or any other NSAID drug, Asprin isn't great
> > either.
> > spot
> Spot, is this true that all diabetics should not take NSAID drugs?  And for
> what reason?
> I gave Claire children's Motrin last summer and it seemed to affect her
> bgs.
> - --higher and more erratic.  I later read that Motrin may raise bgs.   The
> pharmacist I consulted about this gave me that looK that they use to humour
> customers who obviously don't know anything and said that Motrin was just
> fine for diabetics.  But then they tell me that about EVERY drug I have
> ever
> asked about.
> Barbara, Mum of Claire 7

I have been watching this post awhile, and just have to speak. Chronic use of
analgesics, like NSAIDS, Tylenol, Asprin, etc  can do kidney damage in
anyone.  Just like drinking alcohol every day can do liver damage. How much,
and whom depends on genetics, coexisting problems  and medicines,
environment, etc. Being a diabetic puts a person at  increased risk for
certain conditions,  one of which is kidney disease. Even being in "perfect"
BG control may not totally avoid problems for, not entirely understood,
reasons. (This is not to say that it is OK to be out of control.)
Rosealea said it earlier....ask the doctor, as long as they are a
professional you trust. If not, try to find one you do trust. There are many
variables to consider and, as the saying goes, never say never.
My daughter is 16, type I since age 11, no complications (thank God), and
very involved in competition dance. She gets muscle strains occasionally, and
if it doesn't respond to rest, ice, etc. she gets Ibuprofen. I am also a
physician and realize her limits. Like anything else, I weigh the risks vs
benefits in that situation. That is where your doctor may help. Over the
counter medications are a great help and convenient, but they are not without
risks either. But then, it is risky driving to the store to get them too :-)

Mom to Cara, age 16, Type I since 2/97, pumping since 3/98