RE: [IP] Dr. Bernstein's method

Hi Alexandra,

I am trying Dr. Bernstein's method right now. Since am I still on MDI his
suggestions made perfect sense to me.
After reading the book a while ago for the first time I tought he was nuts.
That was not a diet but a severe punishment - I had a hard time imagining
that any person would settle for his 6/12/12 carbs suggestion.
Well, after being on a rollercoster for while, I found the book on my shelf
and started reading again. This time it made more sense and I gave his
theory a try. I tell you it was darn hard and I was extremely hungry in the
first week (Most of patients go through this). But it worked - my BG
flattened out and I haven't had one of those 40to230 jumps since. Ok, you
could say that I wasn't paying much attention to my DM beforehand and you
are probably right.
But I started carb counting again and Dr. Bernstein's reasoning about small
carb portion making small bumps in the BG was really working. I would agree
with most of his stuff.
The 'bad experience' that I had with his approach was that I lost roughly 12
pounds within a month (and I wasn't really heavy before I started) - meaning
I would like to get my weight back.
I hope that with the pump I get the best of both worlds - well adjusted
insulin dosage for 'non-junk food'.
Bottom line is that low-carb doesn't have to taste like cardboard (although
most of the stuff you buy in the store does which means that you have to
start cooking yourself - take a look at 'The Low-Carb Cookbook' by Fran
McCullough) and it doesn't hurt to give it a try. If you have bumby BGs and
don't mind losing a couple pounds and have the will to go through some
hungry days. Go for it.
I would agree that Dr. Bernsteins approach is not for everyone - although
the Doc himself would say otherwise. I would recommend it for Type 2 and
mature Type 1 diabetics (do not underestimate the hunger).
Everything else - as advice is concerned - in the book is pretty much in
line with 'Pumping insulin'.

Thomas