[IP] batteries and insurance

My son has been on the Disetronic H-tron since 8/98.  I have had 3 different
insurance policies--at different times, not simultaneously--and all have paid
for pump batteries.  With the last company, I did have to put up a
fight--they wrote me a letter of denial, saying they pay from strips, but not
batteries.  I responded with a letter of my own, telling them I was not
asking for batteries for the meter, but for the pump.  I explained that the
batteries for the disetronic pump cannot be purchased at the local pharmacy
and must be ordered at a cost of over $70 for 10 batteries.  I also told them
I thought it was ridiculous that they cover the cost of all the other pump
supplies at 100%, but refused to pay for batteries.  Next thing I knew, they
were paying for the batteries.  I have had to fight for the coverage and for
a place to get the supplies because they don't have a "participating
pharmacy" for pump supplies.  The insurance company is Trigon Healthkeepers
HMO and I get the supplies through National Diabetic Pharmacy.  We do have to
get authorization for supplies every 3 months, but they have paid well and
promptly to date.  I have been with them since changing employers in July.
So, to make a long story short--some insurance companies do pay for pump

Betsy Smith