[IP] Teen issues

I was dx towards the end of my teen years (age 16).  But for high school and
the first couple of years of college, I frequently did many of the things
that you parents have been talking about.  I would go without testing for
days (if not a week or more), or just test once a day.  Then I would record
any ol' number I felt like in my logbook.  I would eat whatever I wanted,
whenever I wanted, then just inject some insulin.  Why exactly I did this, I
couldn't tell you.  My parents have known of two specific blood glucose
readings of mine (both were in the hospital upon dx).  I usually "forgot" to
take my log (which I usually had "created" the night before) to just about
all of my doctor's appointments.  However, since I always kept my A1c's
below 8 (with only a few exceptions), no one really bothered me about this.

There was not major life changing even that got me to change my ways.  Just
a seires of smaller ones.  First was an interist that I grew to love and
respect.  Then came Humalog (fall of my sophomore year).  My internist gave
me a vial to try.  Since being dx, I had had a constant dull headache (no
tests revealed anything to cause this).  By the time I had been on Humalog
(and no Regular) for about 48 hours, my headache was gone for the first time
in more than 3 years.  (Incidentally, since then I once had to use some R
for about 2 days, and my headache returned within a couple hours of using
it.  My docs and I don't know why this happens, but I'll just stick to H).
Since I was feeling better, I was more motivated to keep my blood glucose in
range.  Which got me testing more.  However, I still wasn't recording things
very well.  At my internist's suggestion, I got a computer program and the
needed cable and started downloading my readings.  When I periodically try
to record "by hand" so I get my bolus' as well, I usually fail miserably.
I've concluded, that I don't do very well recording by hand (my current endo
prefers logging numbers by hand, and I've told him, he'll be lucky to get 4
written down a month, so he said my computer is better than nothing).

One thing that I do find interesting is that if I am visiting with my
parents, I will fall back into the "old" patterns that I had when I lived
there.  Unless I make a conscious effort to test as often as I should, I
will test once a day (if that) when I am at my parents.  If I am in my own
home, I will test 5-6 times a day, and not even think about it.  I also have
a tendency to "graze" and eat more junk food when I am around them.  Weird.

Maureen dx 10/94 pump 4/99