Re: : [IP] Periods, Puberty, and Pumping

> I wonder how other parents of teenagers handle
> overnighters?  Any suggestions? Susan S.

Let'm grow up. For one-nighters, chat with the parents (once, not
every time). For camp, provide him with an alarm clock to wake him or
campmates in the middle of the night if he needs to check, provide
instructions to camp personal.

Grit your teeth, cut'm loose. The independence and sense of
responsibility you instill in your child will be of much more benefit
than hovering around. It's our job to help them accept these
responsibilities, not protect them from the inevitable. BTDT

I've made it a point to make sure that Lily has the confidence and
help(if needed) to do everything her peers can do. It's paid off big
time! She has matured into a smart, independent can-do-anything
young woman. I believe as a parent that I must make that effort
everyday in spite of my worries about her health, etc...
Yes, last night I crept into her room in the middle of the night to
see if she was breathing (she was, of course), she'd been a little
low at bed time and I was worried, just like you are about your
child. But....

The week she was dx'd (age 11) she had been invited to go to Hawaii
with a girl friend.  She went, not without some hassle from the
doc's at the hospital, but she did go. She attended diabetes camp at
age 11 and 12 and announced she did not want to go back because it
was too regimented (she was the only kid pumper, they wanted her to
eat snacks). The next three years she went to a regular camp in the
mountains for 2 weeks each summer. Mimi and I bit our nails the whole
time, but we survived and our daughter matured and became more
independent with each outing. Although she is now home for winter
break from college, she will again go off ON HER OWN where we can not
see or help her if she needs us, but that is as it should be. She is
prepared as well as her mother and I could manage. Learning each step
with trips away, overnights, etc....

Just do it. You will be pleased with the results.