[IP] splenda

From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Anyone know about Splenda

In a message dated 1/4/02 8:53:52 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< There is something funny about Cocoa. I decided to read the Nutritional

when I was in the supermarket.

Much to my surprise I found the "fat free" mix had less carbs in it than the

"sugar free". This was true for all the brands that were on the shelf at the

It did not make sense to me then.... or now, but the next time you buy,

check the labels.

And I think Splenda is great too. -James >>

I discovered the same thing awhile back, James. I always read labels. I have
done some carb counting while on MDI.
As far as Splenda goes, to answer the original question, there were some
posts on this a while back that were very informative, so you might want to
peruse the archives. From what I remember, it's a different type of
carbohydrate that is simply processed by our bodies differently and therefore
doesn't register as high as "normal" carbs. I drink the V8 Splash drinks with
it and love them. It's also in Hansen's Diet sodas. I have never liked the
idea of ingesting artifical sweeteners. I like Splenda as an alternative.
dxed IDDM 9/92, getting pumped 1/8/02!
Sucralose, the stuff that makes spleda sweet measures like a carbohydrate
when tested but doesn't get metabolized one. Confusing but true. Carbs are
measured in a bomb calorimeter. they are weighed, burned and the amount of
heat given off is  calories which divided by 4 gives the grams.this is done
with the bomb sitting in a water bath, Confusing but true, i just dont count
them. Never made my bg go up. there is more to this but ya gotta ask Roxanne
the RD. I studied it in Biochemistry but that is sometimes as exact a science
as "assume you have a perfect vaccum" spot