[IP] Re: teens and pumping

In a message dated 1/5/02 3:53:13 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Maybe, when we (parents and pump team) talk to pre-teens about the onset
puberty, the discussion should include the normal need for more insulin and
the rising BGs and sometimes erratic BG fluctuations based on the maturing
male and female sex glands and the hormones associated with the onset.  When
this group sees numbers that are not in target, their usual response is that
they did or didn't do something they should have. ...>>

Excellent post, Barbara!  Wish I had been able to see someone like you when I
was a teenager. :-)  I do remember how much better I felt after my
pediatrician apologized to me for his criticism of my control when I was
thirteen and in the hospital -- he realized that even with the lab tests
available there (this was late 50s, long before home blood glucose
monitoring) and no possibility of food indulgence, he was having the same
Linda Z