Re: [IP] Getting 12 y.o. to consider pumping

In a message dated 1/5/2002 12:47:53 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> > Cheri
>  >
>  > How can I get my 12 year old talked into the pump?  She thinks it is
>  > to hurt too much.
>  >
>  >
>  See ifyou can get a "loaner" pump and let her try wearing it with saline.

Or maybe have Mom and/or Dad do a saline trial first . . . Truly, inserting
an infusion set doesn't hurt any more than an insulin shot --- and maybe if
the "grownups" do it first, she'd be more willing to try it out . . . I know
that when my daughter was diagnosed, the parents all practised giving each
other saline injections and my daughter got to practice saline injections on
us before she got even one insulin injection (though she was diagnosed pretty
early and wasn't all that high so an hour's delay wasn't a problem) . . . and
yes, we did saline pump trials too . . .

Pumpmama to Katie