[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #10

I have in 8-year-old sister who does not have diabetes but has spent the
last three years learning about my diabetes.  She doesn't see me that
often since I go to university and live away from home.  When I told her
about my pump over the phone, she said "Well, I'm not going swimming with
you anymore!".  I was a little hurt by the fact that she didn't want to
be seen with me but remembered she is only 8 and it is hard for kids to
understand what they haven't seen.  When I was home for Xmas, I decided
to show her everything about my pump.  I even let her help with a set
change and she was fascinated!  She also found out that it doesn't hurt
because I didn't even flinch.  After that, my sister thought my pump was
"cool" and I like to think she also has more respect for people who are
different from her, even if it is a little thing like a pump.
I think Cheri's suggestion is a great one.  Older role models who a child
can identify w! ith can provide great support.  Maybe you can ask your
local diabetes association or your doctor if they know of anyone who can
help you out.

>Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 12:03:26 EST

>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IP] Re: > >I have talked so many
kids into the pump it is not even funny:) The best >thing I can suggest
you do is to find someone, maybe a teen or a college >student that is on
the pump if you know one, and have them tell him/her how >great it is.
Tell them how you can sleep late, eat fun foods like Captain >Crunch
everynow and then, and how it does not hurt. I was so afraid the >first
time I went to do a set I almost passed out but ended up finding out it
>did not hurt a bit. I can count on one hand the number of times I had a
set >hurt. Another thing is to suggest the sof-serter. I would tell you
to let >your 12 year old play around with it first and get used to the
sound, put it >to the skin to see what it feels like. Even at 20 that
thing freaked me out >b/c I had never used it before, so play around with
it. My kids at camp come >back year after year with pumps after I have
told them how much FREEDOM they >can have with it. I have had to show
them how sets don't hurt when I put >them in, etc. I hope some of this
helps. This is just MY was of doing it >and YMMV! Good luck and I hope
you go for the pump. > > Cheri:) > >========Original Message========
email @ redacted>Sent from the Internet (Details) > > > >Cheri >
>How can I get my 12 year old talked into the pump? She thinks it is
going >to hurt too much. > >Thanks >Michele