[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #10

I have in 8-year-old sister who does not have diabetes but has spent the
last three years learning about my diabetes.  She doesn't see me that
often since I go to university and live away from home.  When I told her
about my pump over the phone, she said "Well, I'm not going swimming with
you anymore!".  I was a little hurt by the fact that she didn't want to
be seen with me but remembered she is only 8 and it is hard for kids to
understand what they haven't seen.  When I was home for Xmas, I decided
to show her everything about my pump.  I even let her help with a set
change and she was fascinated!  She also found out that it doesn't hurt
because I didn't even flinch.  After that, my sister thought my pump was
"cool" and I like to think she also has more respect for people who are
different from her, even if it is a little thing like a pump.
I think Cheri's suggestion is a great one.  Older role models who a child
can identify w! ith can provide great support.  Maybe you can ask your
local diabetes association or your doctor if they know of anyone who can
help you out.
Sara

>Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 12:03:26 EST

>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IP] Re: > >I have talked so many
kids into the pump it is not even funny:) The best >thing I can suggest
you do is to find someone, maybe a teen or a college >student that is on
the pump if you know one, and have them tell him/her how >great it is.
Tell them how you can sleep late, eat fun foods like Captain >Crunch
everynow and then, and how it does not hurt. I was so afraid the >first
time I went to do a set I almost passed out but ended up finding out it
>did not hurt a bit. I can count on one hand the number of times I had a
set >hurt. Another thing is to suggest the sof-serter. I would tell you
to let >your 12 year old play around with it first and get used to the
sound, put it >to the skin to see what it feels like. Even at 20 that
thing freaked me out >b/c I had never used it before, so play around with
it. My kids at camp come >back year after year with pumps after I have
told them how much FREEDOM they >can have with it. I have had to show
them how sets don't hurt when I put >them in, etc. I hope some of this
helps. This is just MY was of doing it >and YMMV! Good luck and I hope
you go for the pump. > > Cheri:) > >========Original Message========
email @ redacted>Sent from the Internet (Details) > > > >Cheri >
>How can I get my 12 year old talked into the pump? She thinks it is
going >to hurt too much. > >Thanks >Michele