Re: [IP] Re: teens and pumping

     Not only is your car/oil analogy excellent, but it fits perfectly with
something I'd previously written for the JDRF website called "ROAD RULES" : <A HREF="http://www.jdrf.org/kids/ideazone.html">
JDF Kids Online: Idea Zone</A>
    Problem is that when FEAR enters the equation, all of a parent's rational
reactions get replaced by ANGER, which only exacerbates the situation. The
teen reacts to our (my) ranting & raving, and can "blame" the parent for
being too obsessed with his/her care, rather than accepting responsibility
for his/her lackadaisical attitude...Yet, since we adults don't "live in the
moment" (like our kids still have the luxury of doing), our minds are racing
ahead to the potential "consequences" of their inactions.
        Statistically, 40% of all diabetics were destined for kidney
complications ( hopefully that statistic will be proven wrong in years to
come, thanks to earlier intervention with ACE inhibitors & screening), but
since none of us has a crystal ball to know if our kids are genetically
programmed to be one of the "lucky ones", our worries tend to "drive" ( back
to the car theme) us when watching our kids' less- than- optimal behaviors.
Different ages bring different stages of worrying. And as I'm learning now
that my own daughter is in college, different environments also bring
differences in how our kids handle their diabetes. Her control has
deteriorated, but since she was fortunately "pre-programmed" to check
frequently ( I think it is her own "comfort" meter), many of those high bgs
didn't linger & her A1C "only" jumped from a 7.1 to an 8.2...conversely,
another mom of a freshman boy is devastated to have realized that part of the
reason her son's A1C jumped into the TEENS is because he was checking
      There are no easy answers...and for each of the 3000+ insulin-pumpers
members, there are 3000+ different stories of our successes, our failures,
our frustrations, etc.....The single most valuable resource that I have found
is sharing this 24/7 "load" with those who truly "get it"!
Renee (pump mom to Melissa...now 19..pumping since March 1996)