Re: [IP] Re: teens and pumping

In a message dated 1/4/2002 7:59:01 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am no longer a teen, but I cannot agree more with this!!!  I'm
>  22...diagnosed at 14..."fixed numbers" right up through probably my
>  sophomore year of college!  I know why I did it...I was (and am!) a
>  perfectionist;

Thanks for sharing that, Tricia . . . and you're certainly not the only
high-achieving young adult/teen to ever do that.  I just started reading
"Living with Diabetes" by Nicole Johnson (Miss America 1999) and she
mentioned doing the very same thing.  I know many folks have a lot of
negative things to say about the pageants (I've been one of them), but thanks
to her openess about her condition and about her pump at the Miss America
pageant, my daughter was diagnosed before she got really sick (BG of 242 and
only trace ketones) -- AND we knew enough to start asking about insulin pumps
on the very first day of diabetes education . . .  I think most of you know
understand what I mean when I say that getting her on a pump gave me my
daughter back!

Pumpmama to Katie