[IP] Re: Teens and pumping

I was a T1teen many years ago. I didn't not use a pump and at that time
diabetes was treated with 1 shot a day.  I always took my shot. I never ran
tests (Urine). I ate sweets when I wanted. I slept late on weekends. I led a
pretty normal teenage life to a degree. I did understand that I couldn't skip
meals, and that I required some carbs at the meals. I was diagnosed as a
young child. I think my mother was pretty cool, she could tell if I was too
far off, and would make me test to see. I went to the doctor regularly.

I didn't want any of my classmates or friends to know I was diabetic. My mom
informed the  school nurse, and my teachers knew, but not the students. I was
very active, and I could feel if my bg was lowb&I would eat candy.

I have 2 T1 brothers, so I guess we had our own support system.

I didn't start to take care of myself until I was pregnant with my daughter
(now 17 years old).

I have been very lucky. I have no complications after having this disease for
more that 45 years.

I don't think I could have gotten through my teens if I had to be so rigid.
I have been pumping for 1 year 2.5 months. I am much more rigid about control

Don't be too hard on your kids that are diabetic.