[IP] Re: teens and pumping

Just a thought:
Maybe, when we (parents and pump team) talk to pre-teens about the onset of
puberty, the discussion should include the normal need for more insulin and
the rising BGs and sometimes erratic BG fluctuations based on the maturing
male and female sex glands and the hormones associated with the onset.  When
this group sees numbers that are not in target, their usual response is that
they did or didn't do something they should have.  This makes them think they
have failed the parents, the diabetes team, and themselves.  Is it any wonder
they want to save face my "fixing" the numbers? It must be extremely
frustrating for them.  Let's try not to give them this message. Yell at
diabetes, but don't yell at your child. And if you feel the need to yell
(your frustration), let your child know it isn't them you are yelling at.
Focus on the fact that checking those numbers is like like checking the oil
level on a car. If the level isn't right, you have information that you need
to do something.
Would you yell at the car if it needed oil, or would you have it checked to
find out why it needs it?  Or, just give it more oil and get on with life.
(Forgive my analogy if it sounds silly.  Maybe someone else has a better
<!8<) <----- me, with the nurse hat on