Re: [IP] Teens and highs

email @ redacted writes:

> From: "Monterey Counseling Center" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Teens and highs
> Our endo. and I figure our 12yo's highs are often due to snacking on top
> of snacking, bolases on top of bolases.  Hard to keep track of unused
> insulin,
> as
> well as underbolases, which snowball when happening all afternoon.  But at
> this
> age they're hungry and growing.  We can't seem to keep it under control.

It isn't unusual for kids in puberty and early teen years to need more basal
insulin. A dietitian I know, says to let the kid eat and provide the insulin
that is needed. It isn't unusual to see basal rates go to 1.2 u/hr or more. I
know one teenage male who had a basal rate of 2.0 u/hr most of the time.
Bolus ratios might also need to be adjusted. This is likely to be the time in
their normal growth and development that the basal is at its highest,
excluding illness or infection.
An exception to this would be in the last trimester of pregnancy when basal
rates can double or triple.  (Another indication for pre-pregnancy counseling
for females with DM.)
As always, YMMV.