Re: [IP] Teens and Pumping

> My fourteen year old daughter has been on the pump now for about
> five months and loves it.  She was diagnosed at the age of 2 1/2
> years so for the first time in 12 years, she is able to sleep in,
> eats at different times of the day, and eats a lot of what she
> wants.  That's the great part about the pump. However, she seems to
> be having a hard time controlling some of this new founded freedom
> as she tends to "graze" most days and eats lots of high sugar foods
> when it's available to her away from home.  Sometimes her readings
> are in the high 200's and 300's and this doesn't stop her from
> eating more.  She boluses large amounts of insulin to cover some of
> her high readings and I'm afraid this practice is just a major
> insulin reaction waiting to happen.
>
> She won't keep up her log book without being harrassed and recently
> started making up numbers to hide some of her high readings and also
> omitted some of her boluses to hide the amount of carbs she's
> eating.  She's a great kid and I love the fact she no longer has to
> give herself 3-5 shots a day but I am very worried about what she's
> doing to herself.  Facts and information are just a waste of time
> with her.
>
> Help!  Does anyone have any suggestions because I am very frustrated

Forget the log book, it will be impossible to get her to comply. Try
and see if she will accept guidelines for eating.

No food if bg's are over 180. She can bolus down, even bolus for the
food she wants to eat, but must wait for highs to come down first.
This approach will make her more responsible an sensitive to the fact
that she needs to control. Make sure her ratios are OK. If she
consistently has highs or lows after meals that require corrective
bolus's, then her ratio is probably off. See if there is a pattern.
You do need records for this, but only for the short term. Be happy
with a1c's under 8 for a growing hungry teen thats wants a life.