[IP] finding an ob/gyn

My employer changed insurance companies this year and of course after
finding a great gyn now she isn't on the new plan.  I could still go to her
and pay the out of network fees, but that's a lot.  And anyway she doesn't
do ob anymore and in a year or two I want to start having kids.  Soo.... how
do I go about finding a good, knowledgeable female ob/gyn who is also
experienced in women with dm?  Also I have to find a dentist on my new
dental plan who uses gas instead of novocaine (I have problems with that)
and knows about dm and teeth.  People keep telling me, just go to the web
site and pick one off the list that is close to home.  Well, that just isn't
going to work.  I want a doc who knows how dm affects everything else.  It
isn't an HMO, so I don't have to have a primary care physician... so do I
still need a general doctor?  Can I see my dm doctor if I have a cold or
whatever?  I have never had to choose one of those before, I've always been
on an HMO.  So aside from flipping coins or closing my eyes and pointing
randomly at the list... how do I do this?